About Cuban Adventures Tour Company
Cuban Adventures is the main product of the Australian travel company Big Planet Adventures Pty Ltd, which also has under its wing the following brands:
Big Planet Adventures Pty Ltd is a registered Australian company (ABN: 15154669360) and is also legally registered in Cuba.
The heart of our operation is providing our small group tours of Cuba. We dedicate ourselves exclusively to Cuba, which means we are truly specialised in this unique country. We believe is one of our strengths. We also provide other travel services in Cuba to complement our tours to make sure our travellers are fully catered to in Cuba if they require it.
In 2005, Cuban Adventures set out with the objective of providing quality small group tour services in Cuba using local Cuban tour guides. We decided to focus on what makes Cuba special, and interesting to the visitor, which (in our opinion) is Cuba's unique society and culture. Using the system of casas particulares (small family run guesthouses) was a perfect fit for this objective. Also essential to the formula was using local Cuban tour guides who would be able to provide the specialist knowledge to our travellers about Cuba, its culture, history, and society.
The tours proved very popular and we grew from a team of 2 tour guides in 2005, to one of more than 40 at last count.
Our Guiding Principal
Running our Cuba tours in a socially and environmentally responsible way is paramount to us. Knowing that we have a positive impact on the people and the environment in Cuba is not just a business policy but something that we deeply care about. We work hard to ensure all of our staff and service providers in Cuba also buy into this objective and adopt our responsible travel policy.
Why Choose Us?
- Our Customers Recommend Us - Nowdays there is a proliferation of places where customers can leave a review about a tourism business. Here is a list of places where travellers have left reviews about our tours in Cuba.
- Expertise - We focus solely on travel within Cuba which by definition makes us a true specialist! Because Cuba is a unique country and a place where business tends to be done quite differently, we are contracted by a number of well-known worldwide tour companies (large and small) to operate their tours for them on the ground here in Cuba.
- Personalised Service - We are a small organisation with, including our tour guides, less than 50 employees, so we have a more personalised and intimate relationship with our travellers. This small size also makes us quicker to adapt to changes that are happening on the ground in Cuba.
- Small Groups - The maximum capacity of our small group tours in Cuba is 16 travellers, with most tours being limited to only 12 or 14 travellers. A typical group size might be from 8 to 10 travellers, depending on the itinerary chosen. Small group sizes facilitate a low social and environmental impact on the areas visited and also make it easier for us to help you have a more authentic experience of the local culture. Our small groups travel to areas less visited, enlightening our passengers with a unique, local and more authentic experience. Small group tours of a maximum 16 passengers, enables the guide to adhere more closely to the needs of each individual.
- Local Guides - Cuban Adventures employs only fully qualified local Cuban guides, who before they are able to work with us, are given specific training by us about our grass-roots, interactive, style of travel. All of our guides are at least bilingual, speaking as a minimum Spanish and English. All of our guides receive specific Responsible Tourism training and operate in accordance with the Leave No Trace philosophy, respecting the land and its people.
- Accommodations - We use guesthouse accommodation wherever we can on the tour. It is by far the best accommodation in Cuba when it comes to providing an authentic interactive experience, we carefully inspect all potential hotels and guesthouses in our tour locations. We have selected our accommodations for cleanliness, comfort, convenient location, safety, local atmosphere, and customer service.
- Sustainable Tourism Practices - In efforts to promote sustainable tourism, we design each of our itineraries to support local individuals and locally owned businesses. We are also a qualified member of the Responsible Travel organisation.
- Home Office Practices - We put into practice as much as possible the procedure of reduce-reuse-recycle. Cuban Adventures head office in Australia is located at the moment in a shared office space. This helps us reduce the use of resources (such as lighting, refrigeration, heating etc) by sharing them with others. We try to reduce the use of paper by using online options as much as possible instead of printing. We are currently designing an app that our staff in Cuba will use, and another app that our travellers will use to view maps of Cuba and Cuba tour travel notes. Public transport is our preferred mode of travel and we encourage each other to use this as much as possible.
- Contribution to Charity - See the list of organisations we actively support.
- Our Tours Win Awards - For the last 3 years running, Cuban Adventures has won the Tourradar Tour of the Year for Latin America for our 8 day Original Cuba Tour. Tourradar is an online agency and review site and its awards are known to be the most democratic in the tour industry. The agency collects and publishes independent and unbiased reviews for multi-night tours worldwide and we have been awarded this prize based on the feedback from tourradar clients who participated on this tour.
- We are legal in Cuba - We are a fully legal tour company in Cuba operating with our official license [Tomo II, Folio 398] through MINTUR (the Ministry of Tourism) and the Camara de Comercio (Chamber of Commerce). This allows us to provide more safety, security, and peace of mind to both our staff and our travelers than many foreign tour businesses that operate in the "black market". Here is an explanation of these benefits.
It would be prudent to check if your tour company is licensed to operate legally in Cuba and ask for their MINTUR license number.